Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Homeschooling

Yesterday Sarah was watching the children for a few minutes before Chris came in. I gave them all big hugs one at a time and they ran in the door. Sarah was the last one I hugged and as she turned to go in the door, I reminded her of the babysitting precautions she learned in Red Cross training.

"Don't forget to lock the door, Sarah," I said. "After all, I don't want anyone to steal my greatest treasures."

"Mommmmy," she replied. "I don't think anyone is going to break in here in the middle of the day to try to steal your books."

Hmmm.

I had to remind my oldest, dear sweet child that THEY are my greatest treasure in the world, not my books, although I do admit that the books are definitely second. And then I reminded her again to lock the door. After all, I wouldn't want anyone to steal the children or the books.

Last night as Hannah was lying beside me on the bed and she said, "Fat people are more stable, you know."

And I looked at her like she had lost her mind.

She continued, "But it also depends on how wide their legs are."

"What in the world are you talking about," I asked.

She said, "Well, if you have a tall sky scraper this big," and she held her little hands together and showed me a tall skinny skyscraper, "and the wind blows a bunch or a tornado comes, it would blow the skyscraper over. If you have a flat wide building, it's more stable so a fat person with wide legs is more stable."

She's only five, but she is doing physics. Who says homeschooling doesn't work?!?

Sonya
www.thehomeschooladvocate.com

DISCLAIMER: We use the politically correct (and obviously more respectful and and polite) terminology of "overweight people" in our home so I have no idea where my daughter picked up the phrase "fat people." Society has already begun to taint my precious daughter.

No comments: