Saturday, December 20, 2008

Friendship in a Pile of Produce

On our local homeschool digest (e-mail tree), we post all sorts of information of interest to homeschool families. One of my favorite bits of information is a list of weekly store ads. A local mom goes through all the store fliers for the week and forwards those to me, then I post them to the digest. I've had increasing problems with my digestive system all fall and a few weeks ago, I posted a note asking if anyone was aware of sales on citrus fruit, particularly grapefruit and oranges, that I would appreciate it if they would post this on the digest.

I received a few responses to my post, but then the next week I got to the point where I could barely eat anyway. Then, last week I was put in the hospital so eating wasn't really an issue at all. Before I was discharged from the hospital, one of my best friends started arranging for people to bring meals to our house so that I wouldn't have to cook when I came home.

Apparently several of the people remembered my request for citrus foods because when I came home from the hospital, my kitchen counter looked like a mini-produce market! I had apples, oranges, grapefruit, grapes, and bananas across the counter top. It was so wonderful! The casseroles that we've received have been absolutely delicious, but I haven't been able to eat much of those. Chris and the children have greatly enjoyed them, though! Each evening since I've been home, I have eaten one or two grapefruits and / or an orange. For some reason it doesn't fill me up like other food - because it's mostly liquid, I guess - but it forces my digestive system to function. Yeah!

I was just sitting here thinking about how friendship is shown in so many forms and it can even be evident through a pile of produce.

Sonya
http://www.thehomeschooladvocate.com/

No comments: