Sunday, September 12, 2010

Me and My Flying Machine by Marianna Mayer - children's book review


This is a very imaginative story about a young boy who builds a flying machine and then, in a dream, imagines all the fantastic things he can create and do with his flying machine, from delivering mail to Eskimos to letting birds rest on his wings. It's a very precious story by Marianna Mayer that makes use of Mercer Mayer's delightful illustrations.

The only thing I didn't like about the story is the ending. Please do not SPAM my review based on this simple comment. It's an ADORABLE story that has value for kids of all ages and for generations in the past and in the future. My comment isn't negative so much as the fact that I wanted the story to continue. Since he ended with a destroyed flying machine and made plans instead to build a rowboat, I would like to have seen a follow up volume with the rowboat! :)

Sonya Haskins
author of Homeschooling for the Rest of Us: How Your One-of-a-Kind Family Can Make Homeschooling and Real Life Work (Bethany House, 2010)

author: Marianna Mayer
publisher: Parents' Magazine Press
publication date: 1971

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ending point is that he was not discouraged. The row boat could have easily been a train or anything else, he just wanted to keep going. That's what the book's all about in my opinion; live goes on, just keep going.

Sonya Haskins said...

I'm glad you added this comment. You're absolutely right. My review wasn't negative at all, simply a desire to see the story continue as I was enjoying it so much. But you're correct. Perhaps the real point is to imagine it going on ourselves. Thanks for sharing. :)