Friday, November 7, 2008

Supporting Obama and Waiting on the Lord

I am thankful that we live in a country where we have the freedom to agree or disagree. My husband pointed out to our daughter last night that while many people who disliked Bush have been VERY disrespectful toward him, as Christians, we are told not to do this even if we are not pleased with the leadership. We can disagree on the issues, but we are to respect our leaders. I am grateful that we have a God who so gently reminds us what is right and how to handle even difficult situations like this.

"Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." (Romans 13:1)

I will admit that I was very displeased with America's choice of president because I do not agree with his values and his disdain for our country is frightening. However, now that he has been elected, I've told the children we will stand behind him and support him so far as it involves our country because this is Biblical and we do love our country.

No matter who had been elected, as Christians, our Father is the King and even we can fall into the trap of believing earthly leaders are going to "fix" everything. Our hope rests in the Lord and Him alone. For this I am grateful and I am thankful that I have the guidance I need in the scriptures. Sometimes it just takes me a little time to get my attitude back in the right direction as I can be a little stubborn, but I am looking forward to seeing how the new administration might play a role in bringing about the events foretold in the Bible and bring glory to God. (No, I'm not saying it's the end of the world, but I do think it is terrific how you can look at a situation or a period of history afterward and say, "Wow, I see now how that really was in God's plan!" That's what I think it so neat!)

"We wait in hope for the LORD; he is our help and our shield." (Psalm 33:20)

Sonya

No comments: