Friday, June 26, 2009

Michael Jackson 1958-2009

I was sitting at the cafe yesterday working on my new book when I saw the Breaking News release about Michael Jackson being taken to the hospital, then later they announced his death. I think it's so sad that he never really had a chance to have a normal life. A reporter commented that he is one of the most recognized faces in the world and definitely THE most recognized African American male (although they made the comment that Obama might catch up with him now). Despite all his money and and fame and all the THINGS he had, he never seemed really happy. He gave up normalcy so that others could be entertained.

I remember watching Thriller and other videos on MTV when I was a teenager and it was fascinating. Of course I tried doing the "moon walk" and other MJ moves along with millions of other young people... Today I was watching some of the tributes to Jackson and his moves still amaze me. I was tempted to stand up and try something like I had when I was 15, but I decided against it. I wasn't good at making the "moves" twenty-something years ago, but today I'd probably end up in the hospital if I did that stuff.

Sonya

"Our God is a God who saves; from the Sovereign LORD comes escape from death" Psalm 68:20

No comments: