Saturday, October 25, 2008

Good fantasy book recommendations for young people

I wanted to share something my daughter wrote for her blog. This is a list of good fantasy book recommendations from a well-read 12-year-old!

I am a fantasy / sci-fi addict so if you don't like that kind of stuff, you shouldn't take the time to read this. There are three bookshelves at my house that belong to me and they are stuffed full of books. I won't list ALL of them.... just a few of my favorites.

Hunter Brown and the Secret of the Shadow
This book has everything - adventure, suspense and a really good ending. You can read the whole book at www.codebearers.com.

Seed of Seerling
This book is really good, too.
www.seerling.com is the author's website.

Ryann Watters and the King's Sword
This book just came out. You can read and excerpt at www.ryannwatters.com.

The Moorchild
The author does not have a website as far as I know, but this is a really book.

Bethany: The Adventures of the Mighty Mustard Seed
This book is EXTREMELY good! It taught me a LOT. (Read the book to get that joke.)

The Dragons in our Midst and Oracles of Fire series are absolutely terrific. I have read them over and over again. www.dragonsinourmidst.com

The Unicorn Chronicles
These books are good - terrific, actually. Nice for a quiet read... ahem, hem. I did not say that, but don't read them if you don't like suspense.

The Spindles books
The series does not have a name as far as I know, but the books are great. www.barrychant.com
I would recommend anything written by Dick King-Smith. He is a really good author and as far as I know there is nothing bad in his books.

The Children of the Red King series
I would highly recommend. They would appeal to most Harry Potter fans and others, too.
www.charlie-bone.com

The Harry Potter series I would only recommend to some people. If you have strict rules about witchcraft and magic, you might not want to read the books. My mom said I could read them only if I promised to tell her if there was anything bad in them. I didn't find anything other than the occasional magic spell, about 3 kisses (but only when the characters get older), and mild profanity (bad words). There is also a little bit of killing and fighting, but what do you expect, a romance novel?!? For more information on these books, go to www.pluggedinonline.com and type Harry Potter in the search bar. Click on one of the movies that comes up and scroll down to the bottom of the page. It should have listings of all the books with "book review" beside them. This is a trustworthy site and an extension of Focus on the Family. (www.focusonthefamily.com) The sites for the Harry Potter books are: www.jkrowling.com and www.warnerbros.com/harrypotter . (You have to have Adobe Flash Player to go on the Warner Bros website.)

The Cooper Kids Adventure series is really good and written by a Christian author. www.frankperetti.com

The Dragon Keeper Chronicles kept me reading for many an hour. I HIGHLY recommend these books. www.donitakpaul.com

The Inheritance Cycle books are proabably my favorites not counting the Bible. They are absolutely terrifically wonderfully PERFECT!!!! I love the books, but as to the movie, I despise, loathe, hate, etc. .... in other words, I think it's awful!!! But oh well. At least they aren't going to make a sequel. Oh yeah, the website ... www.alagaesia.com

The Left Behind series
After I read these, I became completely addicted to the study of the end times, so beware!!
www.leftbehind.com

The Seven Sleepers series - same as above, no website

For more recommended reading lists, go here.

No comments: