Sunday, October 26, 2008

One or Many?

One of Abraham Lincoln's most famous quotes (and one of my favorites) is, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

As I watch the news, listen to Obama's speeches, and see our nation torn apart during this election over issues such as abortion, gay rights, parental rights, the economy, and several other key issues, I cannot help but think of this quote.

Parents should be in charge of their children and the decisions that surround them - whether the decision is not to receive a vaccination or to teach the child at home.

Freedom of speech dictates that if your tv station run pro-abortion ads, you're not allowed to ban pro-life ads. (That's viewpoint discrimination. This is what happened to me last year when the mayor of Washington County said I couldn't do a book signing for my new homeschool book, but people could do any other kind of signing there. He said he just didn't think homeschool should be a legal option and banned the signing. With the help of the media, I pointed out that this was viewpoint discrimination and the library rescheduled the book signing.)

We are losing our nation and I'm not talking about just conservative Christians when I say "we." I am talking about every American who loves our country and who respects the principles upon which our country was founded. I frequently talk with atheists and others who do not share my religious convictions, but I respect their right to worship (or not) as they choose. That's the whole point behind "Freedom of Religion." There is currently a tendency in our country to respect NO religion, but not "Freedom of Religion." Recently someone even misquoted this to me and stated that our country was founded on "Freedom FROM Religion," not "Freedom OF Religion." That's what happens when you start changing history to fit your agenda.

This morning I was listening to one of Obama's speeches and I noticed his great seal. He started using this seal earlier this year and it is basically a recreation of the Presidential Seal with some variations. (Photo from Brandon/Associated Press.)




The seal is almost identical to the true Presidential Seal, but there are a few variations. Take a look at the actual Presidential Seal:


Some of the wording is obvious, but I wanted to point out the wording between the eagle's wings. On the Presidential Seal, the words are "E Pluribus Unum." This means "Out of Many, ONE." The significance of this phrase in my opinion, goes back to Lincoln's quote. From many people, races, backgrounds, we are ONE. Many states come together to form ONE nation. However, even with all these differences, we must be one because, as Lincoln said, "A house divided against itself cannot stand."

Obama's version of the seal says, "Vero Possumus." This can be loosely translated to mean, "Yes, we can." If this sounds eerily familiar, you're right. It's simply the mantra the Obama followers across the world.

Yes, we can!

Yes, we can allow abortions up to the moment of birth.

Yes, we can deny medical treatment to babies born alive.

Yes, we can put government-paid nurses in the homes of private paying citizens when they have a new child.

Yes, we can force parents to give their children vaccinations even when they oppose them or believe they are harmful to their children.

Yes, we can raise taxes to pay for all the government programs.

Yes, we can spread the wealth - take money from hard-working folks to share with those who sit on their bums or get their money illegally through drugs, but since it appears that they don't have any income, we'll share with them.

Ok, so perhaps I'm a bit cynical tonight. I'm tired of Obama already and he hasn't even been elected yet, though I fear he will be in another week.

I respect people with different viewpoints - including those who choose not to worship the Lord. However, I don't see how it isn't obvious to people that this IS a spiritual battle. In my opinion, Obama stands for everything that our country was founded to prevent.

We are not going to survive as a nation of "vero possumus."

"Yes, we can" is a nice mantra, but it's not realistic as a guiding force for our nation.

McCain was willing to give his life for our country. That is "Out of many, one." Throughout our history, MANY men and women gave their lives for the sake of ONE - our country. Obama has not done that and will not do that.

Please pray with me that God will have mercy on us and save our nation!

1 comment:

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I'm scared for our country, too.

~Lisa