Thursday, July 9, 2009

Sheltered Children

I overheard a conversation just now that is bugging me. I thought if I shared it on here, I'd get it off my chest. :)

One teacher started talking with two other teachers at the table next to mine. They were talking about what grades they teach and some other things. Then the male teacher asked the ladies if they had been watching all the coverage about Michael Jackson's funeral. They commented that you couldn't miss it since it has permeated the news lately.

Anyway, they started talking about Jackson's children and how sweet they looked. "They were very polite and seemed like little angels. They looked like normal kids who had really good manners." This went on and one of them said, "Yeah, they must have been very sheltered based on their good manners and such."

Now I don't know about you, but when public school teachers USUALLY talk about homeschoolers being "sheltered," it's very negative, yet here are these three teachers attributing the fact that Jackson's kids seemed to have such good manners and all because thye were SHELTERED.

Yep, that's right folks, when parents do what they are supposed to do - that is shelter, protect and train children until they are ready to do more in the world on their own - then you end up with well-behaved, well-socialized, polite children. You don't have to be a homeschooler to accomplish this by any means, but many homeschoolers just take this responsibility to the extreme. I think any parent, whether they homeschool or not, who SHELTERS their children from the evils of this world, should be praised. I wish I could have asked them what they thought about homeschoolers, but most teachers cite children being "sheltered" as a problem so it was just ironic to me that they were saying how this was good for Michael's children. But it's not for the rest of us?!?

Sonya

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i dont think them being sheltered has anything to do with there manners some kids are just better behaved than others and if you havent noticed most homeschooled kids are wierd and just not social or complete a-holes.

Sonya Haskins said...

I guess I'd be afraid to leave my actual name, too, "Anonymous," if I had your grammar and spelling. Let's see...

"i" is not capitalized.

"dont" is missing an apostrophe.

"them being sheltered" is an inappropriate grammatical phrase.

"there manners" should be "their manners" with a period after it since it's the end of the sentence, which means "some" should be capitalized.

"havent" should have an apostrophe.

"wierd" is spelled wrong.

Finally, the whole thing isn't really a complete sentence (or several sentences) and I'm not sure I understand the point of it anyway.

In general, I've found that people who attack homeschoolers as "Anonymous" does in this comment have never actually had contact with homeschoolers. It's so sad that these people are so prejudiced against the families and children who choose to learn outside the government school systems that train children to be sheep, follow the crowd, not question authority, and not think for themselves. Unfortunately, another result of this same system is the poor grammar and spelling we see present in "Anonymous."

And yes, most homeschoolers do have better manners than children in public school, but I think part of this is because they are taught to respect others - including unborn babies, elderly, handicapped people - everyone. Despite all the push for "tolerance," in reality, this is something that is not truly present in our schools. Otherwise, these kids would also be taught to respect parents who take the time and love their children enough to teach them at home. :)

Sonya